Sunday, April 28, 2013

Banana Whipped Oats

I buy bananas by the bunch, but I never get them all eaten before they begin to get overripe.  Being frugal, I peel them, cut them in half and toss them into a bag in the freezer.  Unfortunately, I wasn't using them up and the bag was getting over filled - that was before I discovered this mixture.  Now I don't have enough frozen bananas to make this as often as I want it!!

It’s thick! And cold! And sweet! And nutty! Who needs cookie dough ice cream for dessert when you can have it for breakfast? I feel almost naughty eating this as my first meal of the day. Especially with a scoop of almond butter plunked down into the middle of that cold oatey banana-y mess.

1 frozen banana (approx.)
1/2 cup rolled oats (uncooked)
1 heaping Tbsp hemp seeds (optional, for protein)

Put everything on a blender and whiz until smooth.

Cook's Notes: I wanted it a little sweeter, so I tossed in a packet of Splenda.  Use your sweetener of choice and adjust to your taste. 
 Also incredible with a tiny splash of heavy cream, which heightens the smoothness and richness of the mixture - of course, half-n-half or coffee creamer would work.
Lastly, I tried adding a scoop of vanilla protein powder, but I recommend adding some ice cubes so it has something to mix with.
Add a dollop of almond or peanut butter - or garnish with a few fresh blueberries or strawberries when in season.




No comments:

Post a Comment