Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Bariatric Surgery WILL KILL YOU!!!

Yes, I said that out in the open, where everyone can see it.  Why? Because it's TRUE!

I'm mad..  This is my rant:

I got a text this morning from a friend who's aunt is a non-compliant bariatric patient.  One of the people that give this surgery a bad name.  She entered the hospital with malfunctioning kidneys, for which they medicated her - which kicked off a heart attack.  

So why was she having kidney issues?  She drinks about 16 ounces of water a day....

After being several years post-surgery she complains that she can't drink when she has been eating 'real food' (her words) - and can only drink if she is eating sweets. 

Yeah...  right...  I'm going to stop typing now and let you re-read those opening paragraphs.  When you realize how stupid they are I'll continue...

Bariatric surgery saved my life.  I'm 5 years out of surgery and maintaining a 200+ lb weight loss - and can attest to the success of many others.  So WHY do I say bariatric surgery can kill you when there are so many successes?  Because the successes FOLLOW THE RULES and the failures make up excuses.

If you can't  dedicate yourself to making the lifestyle changes required for the surgery to be successful, please DON'T  HAVE THE PROCEDURE!!!!  

BARIATRIC SURGERY IS NOT MAGIC!!

I got fat because of my bad food choices and bad habits.  Bariatric surgery is a ONE TIME DO-OVER that allowed me to correct all those bad habits and live a healthy lifestyle.  If you refuse to make those changes you will not only get fat again, but because of the radical internal changes you could well DIE!!

The rules are pretty simple:

  • Take your vitamins and supplements everyday as directed
  • Avoid simple carbohydrates (sugar) and limit the complex ones.  Remember that "Nothing tastes as good as slim feels."
  • Drink a MINIMUM of 64 oz of water a day - recommended amount is the number of ounces that is half your weight in pounds.  200 lbs = 100 oz of water
  • EAT PROTEIN FIRST with every meal - supplement with shakes if you can't eat enough.  Shakes count as protein AND water!
  • 30-30-30  - Stop drinking 30 minutes prior to eating, chew each bite 30 times, wait 30 minutes after eating to resume drinking.  DO NOT drink with your meals!
  • Plan your meals  - Avoid 'grazing' - don't nibble your way through the day

You can choose to follow the rules for a successful post-surgery voyage - or ignore them and play Russian-roulette.

end rant:

1 comment:

  1. Hi David, I had my surgery in May 2015 and I'm on the same page when it comes to bariatric surgery and our responsibility to ourselves to do the right things to stay healthy! I love your site and am glad I came across it! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete