Friday, August 5, 2016

Why I Can't Support Premier Protein Shakes



hero

At virtually every bariatric support group meeting that I attend, there is a discussion about Premier Protein Shakes and how everyone "just loves them." I'm neither a doctor nor a nutritionist, but a long time ago I was taught to read the labels for a look at what was TRULY inside the product I was about to consume - PARTICULARLY my protein. I don't think anyone is doing that anymore. I sit quietly (VERY difficult for me!!) and think, "Well, at least they are getting SOME protein"

But that's not my job. I'm an influencer in those groups and I have a responsibility to be careful about what I endorse - and silence IS an endorsement. So I'm speaking out so you are aware that what we are (silently) endorsing may NOT be the "premier" product everyone thinks it is.


Below is the Nutrition Label from a Premier Protein Chocolate Shake.  Notice the circled INGREDIENTS section in the upper right corner


It case it's not legible, or no longer attached,  it reads:

INGREDIENTS: Water, PREMIER 
NUTRITION PROTEIN BLEND (Milk Protein
 [Milk Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein
Isolate], Calcium Caseinate, Whey Protein 
Concentrate) 

Then on to other items,,

No where on that label does it say "100% Whey Isolate, "  and the only mention of whey is "Whey Concentrate", which is an inferior product.  You can go here to see the difference.  The label may say "30 Grams of Protein", but for the bariatric patient something less than 6 grams of that can actually be absorbed.



There are numerous sites on the internet that compare the kinds of protein, but one thing is always clear, 100% whey isolate protein is ALWAYS the easiest and fastest to digest - and when you are dealing with a malabsorptive gastrointestinal system, you want something that dissolves into your system quickly and easily. .

I selected Premier as an example because it's SO visible in our group, but the same is true for ANY food product, medicine or vitamin that you rely on to maintain your health.  You HAVE to know what is going into your body is the best thing for it.  We all stumble, but we should never be fooled.

---dave---

4 comments:

  1. Excellent post! I feel the same way when people talk about using Genepro, I try to educate but mostly keep my mouth shut because I don't need an argument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started using a "car analogy". 100% whey isolate is the Cadillac of protein. It says 30 grams and you get 30 grams. Whey protein concentrate is like a good Chevrolet. Functional, but not the best. Whey protein blend is the Corvair. No one knows how it was out together or when it will fall apart. Personally, I want to give my body the Cadillac.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried one first thing in the morning, mixed with banana and strawberries, protein shake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Post!

    I recommend to everyone to try Muscle Feast whey isolate protein. I got excellent results. The one thing that I like of this protein that it is a grass fed & hormone free.

    ReplyDelete