Friday, July 30, 2021

Chocolate Almond Macaroons

 

I was working at a client several years ago when one of my team took some vacation time in Paris.  On his return he treated us to some macaroons he picked up a small patisserie.  I was post-surgery at that point, so I resisted - for almost an hour!!  What I bit into snapped - then exploded into a million flavor filled pieces.

Sometimes now I want a cookie and nothing else will do... soooo...  I eat a cookie (or several) of my version of those macaroons.  Perhaps the best tasting cookies I've ever eaten.

2 cups almonds (or almond meal)
1 cup sugar equivalent sweetener (your choice)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 cup chopped semisweet chocolate
sliced almonds for top of cookies

Grind the almonds in a food processor with the sugar, cinnamon and salt until finely ground. You can also use almond meal if you like, just make sure you use 2 fully packed cups.

Add the eggs and extract to the mixture and incorporate.

Shave the chocolate with a knife (I use 4 squares of Trader Joe's Belgian 72% chocolate). Add to the mix.

Preheat oven to 350F and line 2 big baking sheets w/ parchment paper.

With wet hands, roll the dough into 1" balls and place on cookie sheet.  I use a cookie scoop for consistency.


Sprinkle some sliced almonds on top.

Bake for 12-13 minutes. The cookies will puff up nicely.

Remove immediately to a cooling rack with a thin spatula.

These are light and airy and delicious!

1 comment: