Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

I'm an early riser so when the sun first peeks over the horizon my eyelids fly open.  The first thing that touches my lips (besides those of my cherished wife) is an Iced Decaf Mocha Latte protein shake, but a couple hours later I like a substantial high protein breakfast, usually a couple eggs, some meat (bacon, ham, sausage, chicken, marinated pork, steak. etc...) and a slice of whole grain toast.  

But once in a while I veer off my oft-trodden path and experiment with oatmeal.  I've found this to be one of my favorite indulgences.  Particularly when Fall begins to remind us that Summer is only PART of our year.


Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

serves 1

1 cup milk (of choice, or water)
1/2 cup regular rolled oats
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp Splenda Granular (or equivalent)
1/4 tsp molasses
pinch of salt


Bring milk (I use 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. 
Wait two minutes, then stir in pumpkin puree.
Allow to reduce slightly
Add vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, Splenda, molasses, and a pinch of salt. Stir.

When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. 
Add a splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings. I recommend chopped pistachios, pecans, walnuts or wheat germ.


Cook's Notes:
Add flax or chia seeds when you stir in the oatmeal.  I love the nutty flavor of flax in mine.
The molasses isn't necessary but it adds a "brown sugar" depth of flavor that leaves you with a "something's missing" if it's not there...
There's no reason you can't stir in a little Vanilla protein powder as well just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment