Sunday, June 19, 2016

English Muffins



Dark toasted muffin with a smear of fresh
whipped country butter and a
cross section to show texture
Yes..  It's true..  I've been obsessed with bread recently.  You see..  I've slipped..  I've let   carbs come sliding back into my diet, into my pouch and they are taking up residence around my waist - and it's ALL the fault of that demon, BREAD!!!  Life and work have been hectic and I've taken to allowing myself to make a quick sandwich at lunch and grabbing something takeout (and wrapped in bread) for dinner.  Well...  NO MORE!!!

Today we're going to make a wonderful, fluffy English Muffin with the texture and flavor of a rich dense whole wheat bread.  I made mine in a small cereal bowl (since I have no OTHER use for them!) so it had the right shape to be used as a muffin or a bun.  You can use something with straight sides if you like - perhaps an 8 oz ramekin.

Toasted, it reminds me a of an English muffin or bagel.  Untoasted, it's the perfect platform for the BLT with extra mayo I've been craving!!



Ingredients

2 tbsp unsweetened cashew, almond or peanut butter
1 tbsp butter (or coconut oil)
2 tbsp almond flour
1/8 tsp salt (scant pinch)
1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp Buttermilk Blend (optional - see notes)
1 tbsp milk (cow, soy, almond, moose... whatever)
1 egg, beaten



Instructions


Spray the bowl you are using with cooking spray or rub well with oil.

Add the nut butter and butter to a microwave safe dish.  Microwave for 30 seconds and mix until smooth. Set aside to cool.

In another small bowl whisk the almond flour, salt and baking powder together.

Add the nut butter mixture, milk and egg into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.

Pour this mixture into the oiled bowl.


Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

















Allow to cool a few minutes before taking
it out of the bowl
















Slice in half to toast.





Toast as desired desired.
YES!!  I like mine DARK!


















Cook's Notes:

  • The "Buttermilk Blend" mentioned above is a dried buttermilk powder, available on the baking aisle in almost any market.  It adds a hint of that buttermilk "twang" to the flavor, but more importantly, it adds a bit of "lift" and lightens the texture.  I made one without it originally and found it a little too dense for my taste.  If you want to make one without the Buttermilk Blend, you might consider adding another 1/4 tsp of baking powder to the mix.
  • Try adding a small quantity of sunflower kernels and/or flax seeds or other seeds and ground nuts to the mixture
  • Add your favorite sweetener and a pinch of cinnamon - stir in some raisins - have a ball!


No comments:

Post a Comment