Monday, April 15, 2019

Better Biskits (Biscuits)

I love "biskits."  As a true Son of the South I'm pretty sure it's mandatory.  If you search this blog you'll see ample evidence that I am in search of the true hand made Southern Flour biscuit of my youth.  I've tried dozens of versions that were Bariatric Friendly - but not "Taste Bud Friendly"  Those that were passable close I've included here - but I keep searching for :"The One"

I keep making slight changes and modifications in hopes of getting that crispy, chewy, taste explosion of the perfect biskit.  Have I found it...  Maybe...  

This is the recipe I currently use - and it's close...  REALLY close...

ALL ingredient MUST be at room temperature!

Ingredients

Cups Almond Flour 
¼ Teaspoons Salt 
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder 
2 Eggs 
Cups Sour Cream 
4 Tablespoons Butter (melted) 
Cups Shredded Cheese (optional) 
½ Teaspoons Garlic Powder 

Instructions

Preheat your oven to 400°. Spray your pan. A baking spray that uses flour is best.

Also, these biscuits will spread when they cook so use a pan that has walls like a brownie or cupcake pan.  Unless you like flat biscuits. I'm not judging.

Combine all of your dry ingredients. Using a fork will help break up some of the clumps in the almond flour.

Combine all of your wet ingredients and start mixing.

Looks like egg drop soup?  Keep mixing.

Looks like you put too much butter in your mashed potatoes? Keep mixing.

You can stop mixing when it looks smooth - it takes a while

Pour your wet ingredients into your dry and start mixing. A silicone spoon is great for this.

This doesn't take much effort. The almond flour actually absorbs liquid faster than wheat flour.  

Now let's dump the cheese in there!  Mix well.  Oiled hands work best.

Now start transferring to the pan a spoonful at a time.

It doesn't have to look perfect.  Just try to keep the portions even-ish.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes

Until they look GBD (Golden Brown and Delicious)!

It's going to blow your mind, the first time you try one.

I usually eat at least one straight out of the pan but then I go to work making breakfast sandwiches for the week.

Just assemble, bag and freeze.

Cook's Notes:

Use a shredded Monterrey Jack or Mozzarella for a plain biscuit.  Use a strong sharp cheddar and a pinch of cayenne for that "Cheesy Biskit" flavor

No comments:

Post a Comment