Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Cauliflower Rice Pudding

I grew up eating my Granny's rice pudding.  We always looked forward to it the nights after there was any rice leftover from the previous evening's meal. EVERYTHING was used and reused in our house.  As a kid I often wondered why we had a trash can.  Virtually NOTHING ever went into it!  I've had rice pudding in big bowls with large spoons.  I've eaten it baked with a crispy crunchy top and eaten it from wine and martini glasses in fancy restaurants - and I loved every one of them.

Of course, the low carb lifestyle I now try to maintain takes rice pudding off the table, as it were...  At least until now.  I've been substituting cauliflower for mashed potatoes and rice for several years, when it suddenly hit me that it tastes like RICE - and THAT means RICE PUDDING!!!

This makes about 4 servings..  Or ONE if you are home alone..  :-)

2 cups riced cauliflower (about 1/2 head)
1/2 cup coconut cream
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other)
1 egg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 packets Splenda or stevia (Approximate equivalent to 4 tsp sugar)


Place riced cauliflower (see notes below), coconut cream, and (almond) milk in a large microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
Transfer cauliflower mixture to a medium-sized saucepan. Beat in egg. 
Add cinnamon and sweetener. 
Turn on heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, until it begins to thicken. 
Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Serve warm or cold with desired toppings. 

Store extras in the fridge for up to 3 days.


Cook's Notes:
  • To rice cauliflower: Place cauliflower pieces in a food processor and pulse about 20 times, until the cauliflower is finely minced - about the size of regular rice grains. You can finely chop the cauliflower with a knife. Be warned: To get the right consistency, this takes me 10 minutes or longer - and I'm GOOD with a knife!
  • If you're not sugar-free and you want to try this recipe, feel free to use sugar instead of the stevia. I would start with a tablespoon and go from there.
  • Recommended toppings: Fresh berries, nuts, cinnamon, melted butter, etc.
  • I've used almond milk here, but you can use soy, cow, moose, guinea pig - whatever milk you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment