Monday, April 11, 2016

My Go-To Protein Shake



I love my protein shakes.  I have AT LEAST one everyday - and that one shake is almost always my Double Chocolate Iced Mocha Delight.  I get asked for the recipe all the time, so today I reveal to the world what I'm sipping  while I sit on the back deck in the morning sun...


This shake has 2 purposes for me.  Besides being delicious it has to deliver a high level of nutrition aside from the protein and assist with the normal bodily functions that "get out of whack" in bariatric patients.  So, there are 2 sets of recipes below.  The first is for the basic protein shake - and the second my "kicked up" version.  I rarely specify name brands in my recipes, but I'll give them to you here.  I found these brands work best for me.  You are welcome to substitute as you see fit.

I invented this recipe when I was traveling every week, so necessarily, all the ingredients are powdered so they could be packaged and tucked in my suitcase.  I'll talk about liquid options below.  Also, since I drink these EVERY DAY I make them up in quantity.  

Once you've been drinking protein shakes long enough, you have HUNDREDS of protein scoops falling out of your kitchen drawers.  For that reason my whole world is measured in "protein scoops" and I'll use those same measurements here.

Basic Shake: Makes about 18 Shakes

16  scoops Nature's Best Isopure Dutch Chocolate Protein
16 teaspoons Folger's Crystals instant decaffeinated coffee
4   1.4oz (small) packages Jell-0 brand sugar free Chocolate (or Chocolate Fudge) pudding mix
16 scoops non-fat dry milk (I buy the house brand at Sam's club)

Use 2 scoops of this mixture in a shaker cup or blender with 12 to 16 oz of water and ice.

Super Shake:

Start with recipe above and add:
4 scoops All One Powder Multiple Vitamins & Minerals
16 teaspoons Benefiber
16 teaspoons Miralax

Use 2 1/2 scoops of this mixture in a shaker cup or blender with 12 to 16 oz of water and ice.

By way of explanation, the All-One Powder is a tasteless and quite potent vitamin supplement that I use to augment the chewables I also take daily.
The Benefiber is the tasteless colorless fiber that dissolves completely in water without making a thick gloppy (technical term) mass
The Miralax is the perfect amount of laxative used daily that helps me avoid the "River Rock Syndrome" and, along with lots of water, keeps me regular

Liquids:

In each shake there is 1 scoop of non-fat dry milk, which makes approximately 1 cup (8 oz) of milk when mixed with water.  If you are lactose intolerant you can leave out the powdered milk and use 1 cup of almond or soy (or any other) milk.  If you leave out the powdered milk, reduce the powder mix by ONE scoop per shake.
The remaining liquid can also be anything, usually water.  I invariably have leftover coffee each day that I put in the refrigerator to add to my shake - I LIKE that extra coffee flavor punch.

 Cook's Notes:

  • This makes a lot of shake mix.  I can easily be halved or even quartered.  I keep mine in a left over protein container since I have stacks of them!
  • You can make ANY flavor combination using different proteins and pudding flavors.  I really enjoy a Vanilla Pistachio on occasion (without the coffee!) or a Caribbean Cheesecake.  Don't be afraid to buy single serve protein powder packets and experiment.  You may find the ONE SHAKE that is perfect for YOU..


No comments:

Post a Comment