Friday, April 8, 2016

Almond Breakfast Cereal

The only REAL reason this blog exists is for me to have a place to "scratch my own itch" - to keep recipes for things that I've had cravings for from my OLD life, now that I've embarked on my NEW life. So, recently, it was cereal.  I was walking down the grocery aisle and my eyes fell on all the labels.   Cheerios, Kashi, Corn Pops, Frosted Flakes, Raisin Brain.  Time was, I could rip open the top and eat the whole box. I mean it’s so good. 

BUT, nutritionally it's crap. It’s expensive sugar in a bowl, so I’ve cut it out of my life. I still miss it - and that means I had to make a version I could eat. 

I was worried about not feeling full from it for long, but that wasn’t an issue. It filled me up all the way until lunch. And it was easy and fast.


Almond Breakfast Cereal
2 Tbsp almonds
Tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
Tbsp chia seeds
1/3 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup water
1/2 banana**
handful of blueberries**

**You could add whatever fruit you wanted, this is what I had on hand.



Put the coconut milk in a bowl and add your chia seeds. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes and thicken

Pulse 1 tablespoon of the pumpkin seeds and your almonds in the food processor a few times. Decide how “chunky” you want it. I didn’t grind mine to a pulp,  but it resembled granola.

Place the mixture and the rest of the seeds into the bowl with the chia seeds and milk once it’s thickened and add your fruit on top. Add water (or milk) to your desired consistency. 


A sprinkle of cinnamon finishes it off beautifully.

Cook's Notes:

  • With the added fruit I found it had enough sweetness, but a sprinkle of your favorite sweetener is OK if you need it.
  • I like the coconut milk, but you can substitute almond, soy or cow (or moose, or ferret) milk
  • Next batch I'm adding some slivered almonds too, for the "crispy flake" texture.
  • This is SO open to experimentation!  Today I added some vanilla protein powder to the liquid and it was even MORE yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment