Monday, April 11, 2016

OODLES OF ZOODLES!!!

The "Spiralizer" - My zoodle maker of choice

I've a rule in my kitchen that EVERY tool and appliance MUST have more than one purpose.  No "single-tasker" devices.  Even my kitchen tongs double as a citrus squeezer and the coffeemaker does pots and cups and lattes and specialty drinks.  So it took a LONG time and a LOT of convincing before I plunked down real American dollars for a "Spiralizer" - and then, it sat unused in the cabinet, still in it's box for months.  Until last night...

At the end of my rope for dinner I wanted SOMETHING different and rummaging through the fridge I found a couple zucchini that were past their prime and said, "Eh, why not?"

20 minutes of digging through cabinets finally surfaced the long forgotten chuck of plastic and steel and rendered those pitiful zucchini into beautiful green and white ribbons.  I was in love..

Sauteed some chicken breast, a leek, some mushrooms, celery and garlic in butter - then tossed in the "zoodles" to get them heated through.

Just to be cautious I also warmed some leftover red sauce I had in the fridge and whipped up a poor man's Alfredo  sauce with cream and Parmesan. I didn't need either.  The veg and meat combo was delicious as is - even the non-bariatric eaters in the house thought it was wonderful

No more spaghetti squash for me - and CERTAINLY no more nasty "miracle noodles."  I'm a ZOODLES man from now on, and that spiralizer has earned a place of prominence on my countertop where it will be REGULARLY used!

Cook's Notes:
Al dente zoodles. It's what we all want, right?
  • If you are using zoodles to replace noodles in stir-fry don't add the zoodles to the mix until about the last two minutes of cooking and add them raw.
  • If you are using zoodles to replace noodles under sauce such as Alfredo or Bolognese, you can do one of two things: you can either parboil them (bring pot of water to full boil, drop zoodles in and cook for about one minute before taking them back out) OR you can simply add the zoodles to the pan of sauce for the last two minutes of cooking. In the latter case, you'll want to make sure you have a good, thick sauce as the zoodles WILL give up some water as they cook.
  • If you are making zoodles ahead for hot lunches or some other near-future occasion, don't cook them at all. When you reheat the dish in the microwave (or wherever) they will get sufficiently cooked.
  • If you are making zoodles to replace noodles in a cold noodle salad, also don't cook them at all IF (this is important) you are making the salad ahead. Especially when you use tangy dressings (like vinaigrette or sesame ginger) the acid in the dressing will soften your zoodles but will leave them with just enough cold crunch to be really, REALLY satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment