Thursday, February 6, 2014

Baked Artichoke Chicken

This recipe won a contest on a television show called The Chew. Mario Batali and others judged 3 chicken recipes made by regular people, and this won first prize. It is simple and satisfying, and a great weeknight recipe. Such a nice change to boring baked chicken.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f377/schroncd/Food/ArtichokeChicken.jpg
Baked Artichoke Chicken

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 404g (serves 6)

Amount Per Serving
Calories 461
Total Fat 12.8g
Saturated Fat 2.7g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 175mg
Sodium 200mg
Total Carbohydrates 11.9g
Dietary Fiber 4.6g
Effective Carbohydrates 7.3g
Sugars 2.9g
Protein 71.0g


3 lbs. chicken legs and thighs, w/ skin
1 cup artichoke hearts, halved (canned is fine)
1 medium onion, cut into pieces same size as the artichokes
1 pound white button mushrooms (halved or quartered)
2 tablespoons brown mustard
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup red or white wine (you could also sub in chicken stock)
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 bay leaf
kosher salt and pepper (to taste)

Preheat oven to 350F-375F, depending if you like crispy skin or not.

Place artichokes, onions and mushrooms on the bottom of a big pan.



Place chicken pieces on top of the vegetables.

Mix the mustard with the rest of the ingredients and pour over chicken.
Season w/ kosher salt & pepper.

Bake about 1 hour, basting the pieces once or twice.

Dinner is served!

Cook's Notes: 
*I didn't have all dark meat so I used a whole chicken cut up, including breasts.
*I used white wine, because I like it better with chicken than the red. I also increased the garlic. I baked my chicken at 375F because I like crispy skin.
*The recipe calls for "brown" mustard, which is Gulden's in my book, however, I have a nice French tarragon mustard, so I used that instead. The results were fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment