Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Masala Chai Tea

I never tried chai until I discovered it and sank half my retirement fund into buying it from the local Starbucks. In order to protect the pittance that remained of my hard-earned savings, I had to learn to make it myself. After much experimentation I give you the Masala Chai recipe that follows. This is a delightful, spicy drink that will warm you up from your head to your toes! It can do wonders for a dreary day and can always be customized precisely to suit your tastes and preferences.


Masala Chai Tea

2 teaspoons loose leaf black tea
1 cup water
1 cup milk (soy, almond, whole, etc)
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped or grated
4 whole cloves
6 whole cardamom seed pods, pressed or ground
1 cinnamon stick, optional
1/4 tsp black peppercorns, 
Splenda (or other sweeteners) to taste

In a small saucepan, bring the tea, water, milk, ginger, cloves, and cardamom (and other spices, if using), to a boil.
Quickly reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until the flavor reaches the desired intensity.
Add the desired amount of sweetener; at least 1 teaspoon is recommended.
Strain the mixture into a cup and serve hot!

Cook's Notes: Use any kind of milk you like (or none at all), double the spices (or not) – it’s up to you! This recipe is a good place to start. I make massive quantities and keep it in the refrigerator for a quick warm-up in the microwave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment