Monday, August 5, 2013

Crispy Oven "Fried" Chicken


This was posted by Cntry_Rose on [BeforeAndAfterHelp.com]. It sounded too tasty to let slip through the cracks, so I'm posting it her until I get a chance to try it myself.

I don't cook often with recipes... I just get an idea and run with it. Today I wanted mustard. Who knows why... I just wanted mustard! So, I thought about chicken and how I could do mustard with it. Then I thought it would need a "crunch" not just pasty mustard over the chicken.

So, here's what I did.

2 ea of the 1/2 chicken breasts you buy in a packet... cut them into 4 pieces.
1/2 of an onion (I use Vadalia onions), cut into 4 "whole" slices about 1/3" thick
Mustard - not powdered... use the stuff you'd put on a hotdog
Salt and Pepper
EVOO
Fresh Gourmet Crispy Red Peppers and Crispy Onions crushed - CARBS = 4 carbs per Tablespoon (I ended up with about 3/4 cup crushed which I'm going to guesstimate would have been just about 4 tablespoons per chicken piece)

Put a bit of EVOO into the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish
Place the 4 onion slices side by side... mine covered the bottom of the dish
Take the four pieces of chicken and salt/pepper the bottom of them, place a piece of chicken on a piece of onion
Put a bit more salt/pepper on the tops if you'd like (I did, we like pepper)
Squeeze mustard (a tablespoon or 2?) over the chicken... just to coat the top (I used my fingers to mush it around a bit to ensure the entire top of the breast was coated.
Use the crushed crispy red peppers and crispy onions (to coat the top of each chicken piece

Bake this covered for 20 minutes in a 375° oven, then uncover and continue baking for another 10 minutes or until bubbly, the chicken is done and coating is beginning to brown.

I served the chicken with mashed cauliflower, which in my humble opinion is MUCH better than mashed potato ever thought of being. Tonight's dinner was sublime if I may say so myself! And, I have lunch already for tomorrow... the 2 left over pieces of chicken will be the topping on a salad of spinach greens! 

No comments:

Post a Comment