Monday, August 5, 2013

Lime Angel Meringue Pie


I decided to pull out my recipe files and search through them. I'm looking for old favorites that I haven't cooked in a long time. Old recipes that I used to cook frequently, or at least occasionally, but for one reason or another I haven't cooked for many years. I think of them as "Lost Recipes." 

I rifled through the extensive collection of recipes my mother left me with the mission in mind to see if I could come up with an old favorite that hasn't seen the light of day for many years. .

Sure enough, it didn't take me very long to come up with a dish that I don't believe she ever cooked for me, and I'm looking forward to having my WLS version of it with tonight's dinner. The recipe is on a yellowed piece of newsprint cut from an unknown newspaper, probably sometime in the 1940s. It is actually a recipe bequeathed by her mother and its rediscovery brought back many fond memories of my mother and grandmother.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f377/schroncd/Food/limeangelpie.jpg
Lime Angel Meringue Pie

Nutritional Values per serving (8):
Calories 78
Total Fat 7.2g
Saturated Fat 4.0g
Cholesterol 90mg
Sodium 64mg
Total Carbohydrates 1.3g
Protein 2.4g


3 eggs, separated
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 cup Truvia
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime rind
1 cup heavy cream, whipped

Mix 1/4 cup Splenda into 1/2 cup Truvia
Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until stiff but not dry. Add the 3/4 cup of the Truvia/Splenda blend gradually beating until very stiff.

Spread meringue on bottom and sides of greased 9-inch pie plate with back of spoon, building up edge to form a rim.
Bake in 225°F oven until firm and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Turn off oven. LET DRY in oven, with door closed, until cool and crisp, at least 1 hour. Store, in pie plate, in tightly sealed container at room temperature.

For the filling, beat the egg yolks; add remaining 1/4 cup Splenda and lime juice. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly until thickened. Add grated lime rind.

Remove from heat; chill. Fold into whipped cream. Place meringue on serving plate.

Fill meringue shell with lime filling. Chill 6 to 12 hours in the refrigerator.

Garnish with lime slices, raspberries, mint leaves or cherries if desired. Yield:

8 servings

Cook's Notes: You can fill these meringue pie shells with just about anything. Any creamy cooked custard will work (Pastry Cream), as will SF ice cream or whipped cream mixed with fresh fruit - even instant sugar free pudding!

No comments:

Post a Comment