Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Crack Slaw

"Crack Slaw" supposedly earned its name because it is so addictive. I have to admit to "seconds". This skillet dish goes together really quickly if you happen to have some thawed hamburger handy. Just toss the beef in the pan, add the other ingredients and stir fry. You will need some sesame oil, however.  That flavor just can't be substituted. The more you like it, the more you may want to add. Feel free. This is one of the recipes that can be tweaked to your heart's content. 

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f377/schroncd/Food/crackslaw.jpg 
Crack Slaw

Nutrition Facts
 

Serving Size 206g (about 7 oz) 
Makes 6 LARGE servings 

Amount Per Serving 
Calories 274 
Total Fat 11.7g 
Saturated Fat 3.4g 
Cholesterol 101mg 
Sodium 389mg 
Total Carbohydrates 5.3g 
Dietary Fiber 2.0g 
Sugars 2.7g 
Protein 35.8g 


1 1/2 pounds of fresh lean ground beef 
1 pound of coleslaw mix (bagged in your grocer's produce case)
1-2 Tablespoons sesame oil 
2 Tablespoons soy sauce 
2 tablespoons Splenda 
1 thinly sliced jalapeno pepper (optional) 
1/2 teaspoon onion powder 
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 

If starting with fresh beef, lightly brown and drain most of the fat. Add all remaining ingredients and stir fry until cabbage is tender. 

This is great for a fast supper or a weekend lunch. It can also go into a tupperware bowl and be reheated in the microwave. Just be careful chopping the jalapeno pepper. Some prefer to wear gloves when seeding and cutting. I am more afraid of latex, so I prefer just to wash my hands well and make sure I don't touch my eyes. 

Cook's note: Instead of hamburger I could use 1lb of the pre-cooked beef/turkey/lamb mixture I keep in the freezer at home. 
Make it Thai Crack Slaw: Stir in some soy sauce. Sprinkle with powdered ginger and a squirt of lime juice. You can leave it like this, or do what I do. I drizzle a little Sriracha red chili sauce on my plate. Just the right level of heat for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment