Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Tuna Marinara over Spaghetti Squash

I love to watch Giada De Laurentiis on the Food Network. She’s gorgeous and although many of her recipes are pretty labor intensive, she makes some tasty simple ones that I can easily convert to fit my dietary needs.

A while back I found her Tuna and Tomato Sauce recipe and even though I was skeptical I tried it. Wow, it’s amazing and I made it often, back when I used regular pasta. Recently I put it over spaghetti squash. It as just as good as I wanted it to be.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f377/schroncd/Food/TunaSpaghettiSquash.jpg

Tuna And Tomato Sauce

1 cooked spaghetti squash (see below)
1 jar No-Sugar-Added marinara sauce (or homemade!)
2 cans tuna (I use chunk light) packed in oil, drained
2 teaspoons drained capers
grated lemon peal of one lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley (or 1 tsp dried)

While the squash is baking, combine the tomato sauce, tuna, capers, and lemon peel in a heavy large skillet.
Using a fork, break the tuna into chunks.
Simmer to blend the flavors, about 5 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the parsley and serve over your squash.

Top with grated Parmesan cheese if you allow dairy and enjoy!

Cook's Notes: I buy the cheap American tuna, but if you have WAY too much money you can spring for the Italian tuna, which is QUITE tasty, but the flavor gets covered up in the marinara and I don't think its worth it in this case.
There are several great spaghetti sauces in your grocery aisle that don't have added sugar, but you have to READ THE LABELS. Note: They are usually NOT the highly advertised national brands.

Spaghetti Squash Directions

Pre-heat the oven at 375F.
Cut one spaghetti squash in half from stem to bottom (length-wise).
Scrape out the seeds and pulp.
Season however you like, I drizzle mine with olive oil and sprinkle garlic salt on it.
Place each half of the squash face down (skin side up) and bake for 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let cool a bit.

Use a fork to pull the strands out of the squash onto a plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment